Friday, March 20, 2020

March 20, 2020 Ramblings


Good News of the Day: One of the most heartwarming outcomes of our social distancing is an increase in people sharing their talents to help others. God gave us all talents to use for the benefit of others. These talents, among other things, make our individual contribution to the building of the God's Kingdom unique and irreplaceable. They give our lives meaning. We just have to commit ourselves to using our talents for that divine purpose.

Most obviously in these times, we note the efforts of our health care and emergency response workers and military, who put their own health and safety on the line to protect ours. “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (John 3:15). I also want to acknowledge all of the people who are finding ways to help out wherever they can—shopping or making meals for the home-bound; helping people with their taxes; and supporting small businesses to keep them afloat through the many restrictions they face. Last, but not least, are the countless people who have shared their talents with us online. I’ve already mentioned Pro-Activity’s #HuntForHealth, and my Church’s video recordings of Mass every day, but there are so many more: My friend Laura reads to her Pre-K class over the internet; YoYo Ma plays the cello for us on Facebook; my daughters shared their artistic endeavors (harp and photography, respectively). The list is endless and growing every day.

I love seeing these posts. For as much as I have expressed concerns about social media, it is proving to be a gift in this time of physical isolation (there’s a future post coming on that). Remember, God did not send the virus-that-shall-not-be-named. It would be contrary to his nature to do so. But God does offer us the opportunity, in every moment of our lives, to bring a greater good out of evil. Maybe we can make a concentrated effort to use our God-given talents for the benefit of others a permanent side-effect of the pandemic. God has placed the opportunity before us. The choice is ours.

A Slice of Heaven: They say that necessity is the mother of invention. Well, the other day in the middle of the morning, I was starving. It was too late for breakfast and too early for lunch, so I couldn’t decide what to eat. I opened the fridge, and my eyes immediately set upon a jar of apple butter—one of God’s many gifts to the world. I grabbed it and turned to place it on the counter when what to my wondering eyes did appear, a loaf of Irish Soda Bread waiting for a schmear. Friends: I discovered a slice of heaven. I’m thinking that my next birthday cake should be Irish Soda Bread with apple butter filling.

Much peace,

Deacon Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.