Saturday, July 6, 2013

Old Friends

          I've been thinking a lot about friends these past few days.  It started last Saturday when we had dinner with a college friend whom we haven’t seen since our wedding day.  Yoshiko was visiting New York from Hong Kong, where she now lives, and we were so happy that she was able to make some time for us.  It was great seeing her, and it was fun catching up after too many years.  Then, two days ago, I had a dream about a friend whom I haven’t seen or heard a word from in 15 years.  I’m not superstitious, so I don’t read doom and gloom or foreshadowing into the dream.  I was just a little surprised that this friend emerged from the depths of my subconscious without an apparent trigger.  The trifecta will be complete tomorrow when we get together with my wife’s high school friend and his wife.  I've never met them, but I’m really looking forward to it.  I'm hoping to get some scoop on what my wife was like in high school!

          Friendship has taken on a new meaning today with the birth of social media.  We can “friend” just about anyone on Facebook if they let us (and some people do).  These “friendships” can be maintained by broadly cast postings that anyone and his brother can read.  I’ll be honest, that kind of friendship worries me.  It’s too easy, and too superficial.  Now, don’t get me wrong:  I’m not knocking Facebook.  It can be a great way for friends to stay connected or to reconnect.  I’m just saying that simply clicking a button on Facebook does not a real friend make.  Real friendship is founded on trust that takes years to nurture, grow and mature.  Real friends know what to say and when, and they know when it’s best not to say anything at all.  Real friends have made you laugh so hard that soda shot out of your nose.  Real friends show up when you need them before you've even had the chance to call.  “A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure.  A faithful friend is beyond, price, no sum can balance his worth.”  (Sirach 6: 14-15)

          Real friends become old friends over time; and there’s nothing like an old friend.  Old friends have passed the test of time.  Old friends are the people who know enough about you to keep you from revealing what you know about them.  Old friends don’t make fun of what you look like in old photographs because they’re standing right there next to you in most of them.  Old friends know all of your nicknames and why you got them in the first place.  Simon & Garfunkel said it best:  “Old friends, memory brushes the same years; silently sharing the same fears.”[1]  And that’s the trick to old friendships – sharing.  Sharing the happy, the sad, the silly, the serious, the brilliant, the stupid, the ugly and the beautiful.  In short, old friends share their lives with each other. 

          I've been blessed to share my life with some great old friends.  My mother’s best friend since she was in eighth grade and her daughter have known me since the day I was born.  I have a dear friend whom I've known since fourth grade.  I’m very happy that I've stayed close with my college roommate for 25 years, even though we live on opposite coasts, and I'm even happier that his lips are sealed.  I have old friends from past jobs and from the neighborhoods I used to live in.  I even have an old friend whom I've only known for 7 years.  We've shared so many experiences together that he’s earned transfer credits in the years department.  My old friends have been my sturdy shelter.  They are . . . priceless.    

          To my old friends, well . . . you already know.  To my new friends, I look forward to becoming old friends with you.

Click here for "Old Friends" by Simon & Garfunkel



[1] “Old Friends,” Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

1 comment:

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.