Thursday, September 11, 2014

In Defense of God - Holy Hour Homily, September 11, 2014

          “I have a feeling that God wants me to defend him.”   That’s what Josh Wheaton said when asked why he accepted his atheist philosophy professor’s challenge to prove the existence of God, in the movie God Is Not Dead.  I didn't really like the movie all that much, but that one line stuck with me, playing over and over in my head.  It stuck with me because I have that feeling, too.

          Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that God needs me to defend him.  God needs nothing.  He’s perfect and perfectly happy in all respects.  God is also omnipotent, meaning that there’s no power in heaven or on earth that can overcome him, so he doesn't need defending, and he certainly doesn't need defending from me.  But I do think that God wants me to defend him.  Why is that?

          Well, Scripture is filled with passages that call us to be a witness to God’s saving grace.  Our passage from the First Letter of Peter is a great example when it says, “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope.”   So, if we’re all called to be witnesses, what’s a witness?  Well, it’s someone who has seen or heard for him or herself, and tells the truth about it; someone who defends what he or she knows is right.  Under that definition, all of us who have seen God’s wondrous deeds, who have heard the Word of God inviting us to new life or who have felt the warmth of God’s loving embrace, are qualified witnesses.  We just need to be willing to testify to what we have seen, and heard, and felt.

          Giving testimony isn't always easy, especially in a highly secularized society where religion is often looked upon as a silly superstition or the “opiate of the masses,” in a world where horrible crimes against God and man are committed in the name of religion.  But this is exactly the courtroom where our witness is most needed; where I feel like God wants me to defend him.  It may be awkward or uncomfortable; we may be hated or ridiculed.  Some are even tortured or killed for their defense of God.   But the word “martyr” comes from the Greek word meaning “witness.”   And that’s our call.

          + We’re called defend God by declining an invitation to a social or sporting event when it would interfere with Church;
          + We’re called to defend God by praying in public when we go out to dinner;
          + We’re called to defend God by defending the poor and persecuted;
          + We’re called to defend God by speaking out against injustice;
          + We’re called to defend God by defending life.

          The Christian mission isn't an easy one, and it seems to be less and less popular these days.  But fortunately for us, our loving God is always with us to strengthen our resolve to be his compassionate and humble witnesses to the world.  He’s with us in Scripture.  He’s with us in Spirit.  And he’s with us in this most Blessed Sacrament of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God has given us all the resources we need to be good and faithful witnesses to his truth.  So it’s up to us.  Will we sit back and remain silent, or will we defend God before the world?  I feel like God wants me to defend him.  How about you?

Reading:  1Peter 3: 8-9, 13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.