Sunday, August 29, 2021

A Little News

          Here at Immaculate Conception, when we’re asked to be seated following the Prayer After Communion, we know all too well that the announcements are going to be long. I’ll try my best to be brief, but after 11 years, you know that’s not my strong suit.

         I’m here to share with you the news that effective September 18th I will transfer to Saint Catherine of Siena Church in Pittstown.

Now, before rumors start, I want to be very clear that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my ministry here at Immaculate Conception.

·      There are no feuds or disagreements theologically, philosophically, or otherwise. There have been no sleights or crossed eyes. I’m not being run out of town, and I’m not running away from any problem;

·      I’m not leaving because the Sacristy is too small for my vast diaconal wardrobe (though our deacons will probably appreciate a little more room in the closet); and

·      I’m not leaving because we now have a parochial vicar who’s cuter than I am (though that's been a little hard to take).

The simple fact is that I believe that the Holy Spirit is calling me to ministry at Saint Catherine’s. When I first heard of the need for a deacon at Saint Catherine’s, I dismissed it, but it kept coming back to me in thought and prayer. For me, the Holy Spirit is a bit of a nag, and nag she did until I relented. Though coincidental, my wife and I also have been working on relocating to that area of the county.

While I’m at peace with my decision and excited about the new opportunity, I’m very sad to leave you, my family here at Immaculate Conception. I’ve been blessed to collaborate with wonderful pastors and parochial vicars, and I thank them all for the patience and kindness they’ve shown me over the years, most recently Fr. Jay and Fr. Ariel. It’s also been an honor to serve alongside our amazing deacons who are much better servants than I will ever be.

I’m especially blessed to have had the opportunity to serve you, my friends, who have formed me from a baby-deacon into the hot mess of a deacon I am today. I thank God for all of you—for your forbearance, your kindness, and the love you’ve shown me over the years. I will keep you always in my prayers and carry you in my heart forever. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.