Sunday, May 18, 2014

Blessing of the Vines – May 18, 2014


        It would be an insult to farmers to call myself a farmer.  Let’s just say I’m a big gardener.  I love gardening.  I love being out in the sun with the cool soil between my fingers; I love tending the plants with the hopeful expectation that they will actually grow; and, of course, I love reaping the fruits of my labor at season’s end.  I can’t say that I’m the best gardener in the world, but I have learned a few things about gardening over the years.  Most importantly, when it comes to growing things, I’m not in control.  No matter how much tilling, fertilizing and watering I do, if nature doesn't cooperate, there will be no produce.

          Our readings this afternoon testify to this very fact:  We’re not in control.  God provides everything we need to survive and to produce good fruit.  As our psalm tells us, God visits the earth, waters it, and makes it fertile; God gives us our grain; and God adorns the year with his bounty.  Everything we have, we owe to God, and for that, we stand in awe of his marvels.

          But we can’t just stand here, slack-jawed, doing nothing.  God calls us to use his gifts for the benefit others.  And again, he gives us every opportunity and everything we need to do so.  As our Gospel tells us, if we remain in him, we will bear much fruit.  By acknowledging God as the creator of all that is good, by acknowledging God as our loving benefactor, we humbly remain in God and all of his blessings.  So we take the time this afternoon to acknowledge God’s gifts by blessing these vines and all who work so hard at Mount Salem Vineyards to produce good fruit, and we thank you for your tremendous generosity to our community.

     Faith in God brings with it the strength and the courage to carry out his good works.  And in a good year, it may even bring some really good wine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.