Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How do you say goodbye to a Pope?


How do you say goodbye to a Pope?  Over the past two weeks we've seen tributes and critiques, farewells and good riddances.  Like many, I suspect, I have very mixed emotions.  On the one hand, I feel a close spiritual connection to this Pope.  I was ordained a Deacon under Benedict XVI, I studied his theological treatises and his encyclicals in formation, and I was invested as a Knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre under his protection.  He’s the only Pope I've seen in person (twice), though admittedly from pretty far away.

 On the other hand, I see a Church in crisis that needs a strong Pope who can clean up the mess and put a positive face on the Church and its teachings.  I don’t blame the Holy Father for the mess; I just don’t think he has the qualities necessary to fix it.  If I had a third hand, I’d add that the Pope looks tired.  He needs a rest and deserves it.  I feel like it’s time for a change.

But most of all, I feel grateful:  grateful that the Holy Father accepted his election as Supreme Pontiff when he really just wanted to retire and go home to Germany; grateful for his service to the Church and for the opportunity to get to know him through his writings and teachings; and grateful that he knew when to hand the keys to another man. 

Benedict’s renunciation of the See of Peter is an incredible act of humility.  We don’t see many examples in history of the mighty relinquishing their power voluntarily.  This act of humility is known in the world of theology as kenosis, self-emptying.  Paradoxically, kenosis is a tremendously powerful act.  By emptying himself of earthly power, Pope Benedict is opening himself even further to the grace of God.  In his weakness, he becomes strong.  And the life of prayer that he's taking on will be incredibly powerful because of his new-found ability to dedicate himself completely to God.  And that’s exactly what the Church needs from him.  So I am also grateful for his remarkable act of humility and for his prayers.

So how do I say goodbye to the Pope?  Well, to the man who has dedicated his life to God, who has guided his students and his flock to God, and who has entrusted the Church he loves to God, I offer my prayers and blessings and a simple French word:  Adieu – “to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

God is listening . . . comment accordingly.